By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Gun GravyGun GravyGun Gravy
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Firearms
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Reading: Florida AG Admits Error, Says Only Dangerous Felons Should Lose Gun Rights
Share
Font ResizerAa
Gun GravyGun Gravy
  • Latest News
  • Firearms
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Firearms
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Gun Gravy > Latest News > Florida AG Admits Error, Says Only Dangerous Felons Should Lose Gun Rights
Florida AG Admits Error, Says Only Dangerous Felons Should Lose Gun Rights
Latest News

Florida AG Admits Error, Says Only Dangerous Felons Should Lose Gun Rights

Jim Flanders
Last updated: February 21, 2026 1:15 am
Jim Flanders Published February 21, 2026
Share
SHARE

TALLAHASSEE, FL – Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier has formally acknowledged in a court filing that individuals convicted of non-dangerous felonies should not automatically lose their Second Amendment rights, marking a significant shift in the state’s legal position on firearm possession.

The updated stance was revealed in a filing submitted to Florida’s First District Court of Appeal in the case Christopher Morgan v. State of Florida. The Attorney General’s office notified the court that, after further review, it now believes Morgan’s conviction for being a felon in possession of a firearm violated his constitutional rights.

According to the filing, the state previously argued that Morgan was properly convicted under existing law. However, the Attorney General’s office stated it had reconsidered that position and now recognizes a constitutional distinction between dangerous and non-dangerous offenders.

“Properly understood, the Second Amendment permits the government to dispossess felons whose convictions indicate that the felon is dangerous, but not merely all felons as a categorical matter,” the filing states.

The Attorney General also informed the court that it was “confess[ing] error” and urged the appellate court to reverse the conviction. The updated position was submitted ahead of scheduled oral arguments in the case.

Gun Owners of America publicly highlighted the filing, stating that the Attorney General conceded that only dangerous felons should lose Second Amendment protections. The organization characterized the move as a significant pro-Second Amendment development.

The case centers on whether blanket firearm prohibitions applied to all convicted felons are consistent with constitutional protections. By revising its legal argument, the Florida Attorney General’s office signaled support for a more individualized approach that evaluates whether a person’s prior conviction demonstrates dangerousness rather than applying a universal prohibition.

While the court has not yet ruled, the filing could influence how similar cases are evaluated moving forward, particularly as courts across the country continue examining the scope of firearm restrictions under modern Second Amendment interpretations.

The issue reflects an ongoing legal debate about how constitutional rights apply after criminal convictions. Restoring rights to individuals who do not pose a public safety threat aligns with the principle that constitutional protections should not be permanently removed without clear justification tied to dangerous behavior.

The appellate court’s eventual decision will determine whether the Attorney General’s revised position results in a reversal of Morgan’s conviction and could shape future legal challenges involving firearm possession laws in Florida.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Trump releases video of US drone strike on ‘drug-carrying submarine’ in Caribbean that left 2 dead, 2 captured

Flying with Guns: Episode 43 – Southwest from MSY to LAS

CAIR’s tax-exempt status targeted as Cornyn moves to strip group after terror designations

Indiana judge in bizarre Natalia Grace case shot in home attack as police hunt suspect

Ex Allegedly Kidnaps Woman, Returns to Confront New Boyfriend Before All Three Are Shot

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Jury convicts former NFL player Keith J Gray in 8 million Medicare fraud scheme involving kickbacks
Latest News

Jury convicts former NFL player Keith J Gray in $328 million Medicare fraud scheme involving kickbacks

Jim Flanders Jim Flanders February 21, 2026
Houston ‘Gun Jugging’ Thwarted: Armed Citizen Shoots Robber After Leaving Range
Minnesota Hearing Scheduled on Semi-Auto Ban and 10-Round Magazine Limit
Truck smashes into famed synagogue, police charge man with hate crime: ‘Very distressing’
Kentucky Lyft driver charged with sodomy, kidnapping now faces federal immigration detainer
Woman Shoots And Kills 15-Year-Old Suspect During 2:30AM Armed Break-In
VA Reverses Decades-Old Practice That Blocked Some Veterans From Firearm Ownership
Latest News

VA Reverses Decades-Old Practice That Blocked Some Veterans From Firearm Ownership

Jim Flanders Jim Flanders February 21, 2026
US military Olympian shares love of country and fellow Americans competing in Milan Cortina
Latest News

US military Olympian shares love of country and fellow Americans competing in Milan Cortina

Jim Flanders Jim Flanders February 21, 2026
Man who crashed into Nevada substation found dead in car with arsenal in suspected terror incident: sheriff
Latest News

Man who crashed into Nevada substation found dead in car with arsenal in suspected terror incident: sheriff

Jim Flanders Jim Flanders February 21, 2026
  • Latest News
  • Videos
  • Tactical
  • Firearms
2024 © Gun Gravy. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?